Lee Stein, a former Assistant U.S. Attorney and Special Assistant Attorney General in the Arizona Attorney General’s Office, has nearly 25 years of experience representing clients in white collar prosecutions and government investigations. He also was a partner at Perkins Coie, LLP, where he co-chaired the firm’s national Investigations and White Collar Defense practice group.
Lee is an accomplished trial lawyer who represents Fortune 500 companies and individuals in sensitive internal investigations and criminal prosecutions in both federal and state courts. Lee has seen nearly every imaginable white collar issue, including SEC investigations, environmental and wildlife prosecutions, fraud cases and public corruption matters.
An area of emphasis for Lee over the last 5 years has been advising clients on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. He has handled FCPA investigations all over the world and has resolved those matters when necessary with the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Lee regularly represents students accused of misconduct by their college or university. He has resolved many such matters and has successfully litigated cases before University Hearing Boards. Lee is well versed in Title IX and the constitutional rights of students involved in the disciplinary process.
Lee is a frequent speaker on white collar issues. He has trained corporate investigators on conducting internal investigations, appeared on panels on the FCPA and other white collar issues, and spoken to in-house counsel on ethical issues in internal investigations. He has also taught classes at the University of Arizona and Arizona State University law schools on corporate criminal issues and the lawyering process.
Lee graduated magna cum laude from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and served as Editor-in- Chief of the Law Review. Following his law school graduation, Lee served as a law clerk to Arizona Supreme Court Justice James Moeller.
- Perkins Coie, LLP, Partner and Co-Chair of the Firm-wide Investigations and White Collar Defense practice group (2005-2013)
- Fennemore Craig, P.C., Director (2000 – 2005)
- Arizona Attorney General’s Office, Special Assistant Attorney General and Chief Counsel, Civil Rights and Public Advocacy Division (1999 – 2000)
- Assistant United States Attorney, District of Arizona (1995 – 1998)
- Brown & Bain, P.A., Associate (1989 – 1995)
- Arizona State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor, “Lawyering Process,” (Fall 1995 and Spring 2001)
- University of Arizona College of Law, Adjunct Professor, “Corporate Criminal Investigations,” (Spring 2005)
- Law Clerk, Hon. James Moeller, Arizona Supreme Court (1988 – 1989)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense
- Listed in Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Litigation Lawyers”
- Listed in Southwest Super Lawyers
- AVVO Rating 10.0 (superb)
- Peer Review Rated AV in Martindale-Hubbell
- ABA Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee, Co-Chair – Southwest Region, Co-Chair FCPA Subcommittee
- Office of Senator John McCain’s Federal Judiciary Evaluation Committee, Member
- Arizona Superior Court Felony Defense Review Committee, Member
- Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2004 – 2007
- Attorney General’s Capital Case Commission (former)
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Wong Sun Society of San Francisco, Member