Flynn Carey defends clients throughout Arizona in violent crime and vehicular prosecutions; advocates for professionals in licensing investigations and in board proceedings; and assists companies and governmental entities in conducting internal investigations and litigating white collar and fraud cases.
Flynn has litigated all manner of criminal cases, from assault and domestic violence charges to drug charges, to sexual misconduct and murder cases. While at Gallagher & Kennedy, PA, Flynn established a DUI and Vehicular Crimes practice, and has litigated issues related to impaired drivers before the trial courts and the Arizona Court of Appeals. Since establishing that practice, Flynn has represented all types of licensed drivers, including those with specialized licensing and certifications, in a variety of vehicular matters including DUI, aggressive/reckless driving, aggravated assault with a vehicle, and leaving the scene of an accident cases.
Flynn represents professionals before their licensing agencies, in conjunction with parallel criminal allegations and in situations in which professionals are accused of violating the practice restrictions and standards of their licensing entity.
Flynn has extensive civil litigation experience in the trial courts at all levels of practice, and has litigated complex civil cases including racketeering claims, fraud, and unlawful shareholder oppression. Flynn is also retained frequently by family law attorneys to consult on issues involving the intersection of domestic relations law and criminal law. Flynn has experience addressing criminal allegations by one spouse against another, situations in which Child Protective Services is investigating a parent’s actions, and instances where threats have been made against a parent during family law proceedings.
Flynn holds a degree in Management Information Systems, and managed information technology for the City of Tucson prior to a career in law. Flynn’s knowledge of science and technology has allowed him to successfully litigate complex legal issues involving computer forensics, police technology, DNA analysis, mobile technology, surveillance, and toxicology.
Flynn graduated cum laude from the James E. Rogers College of Law at the University of Arizona, where he was the President of the Criminal Law Society and served as the Research Editor of the Arizona Law Review. During law school, he externed for the Arizona Office of the Attorney General, assisting in the prosecution of violent crime and white collar cases.
- Gallagher & Kennedy, PA, Senior Associate, Criminal Law and Regulatory Enforcement Group (2007-2013)
- City of Tucson, Library Systems Analyst/Systems Programmer, Technical Assistant II, (1996-2004)
- Southwest SuperLawyers Rising Star, Criminal Defense (2014)
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale Hubbell (2013)
- Client’s Choice Award, AVVO.com (2013)
- 10.0 AVVO Rating (2013)
- Arizona Attorney Creative Arts Competition, Honorable Mention (2008)
- American Legal Institute-American Bar Association Scholarship & Leadership Award (2007)
- Rosenberg Distinguished Editor Award (2007)
- T. C. Clark Litigation with Civility Award (2007)
- City of Tucson Public Service Excellence Award (2004)
- Public Manager Certification (2004)
- Outstanding Leader in Library Youth Development (2002)
- Letter of Recognition, City of Tucson City Managers Office (2002)
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2014-2016
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Board Member, 2010-2016
- Sponsorship Chair, Barristers Ball Committee, 2010-2011
- Committee Chair, Barristers Ball Committee, 2011-2012
- Silent Auction Chair, Barristers Ball Committee, 2012-2013
- State Bar of Arizona, Criminal Jury Instructions Committee, 2010-2013
- Thurgood Marshall Inn of Court, 2008-Present
- Secretary, 2009-2011
- Vice President, 2011-2012
- President, 2012-2013
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital Foundation, Emerging Leaders (2014 – )
- State Bar of Arizona, Bar Leadership Institute 2008, Graduate
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Banner Health Foundation, Major Gifts Committee, Past Member
- Pima County Sheriff’s Auxiliary (2002 – 2005)
- Board of Directors, Homicide Survivors, Inc. (1999 – 2002)