Barry Mitchell is a trial lawyer practicing for over 23 years in the area of criminal defense. He focuses on representing individuals and corporations in criminal, regulatory, and administrative cases. Barry handles the full range of state and federal felony and misdemeanor issues.
Barry is particularly skilled and seasoned in defending cases with an intersection between the criminal justice system and administrative licensing authorities. He has represented hundreds of licensed professionals and entities facing matters ranging from domestic violence to money laundering. Chambers USA says “peers praise his detail-oriented style, his sense of judgment, and his proactive approach.”
Barry has a proven track record of conducting effective internal investigations running the gamut of regulatory issues, including FCPA, EPA, SEC, DEA and HHS – OIG matters. He has also helped create and implement compliance programs for organizations ranging from small companies and healthcare practice groups to Fortune 100 corporations.
Barry graduated from Boalt Hall, University of California – Berkeley, in 1991 where he taught legal research and writing, and chaired the Moot Court Board. He graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Arizona State University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology in 1985.
Before starting the law firm of Mitchell | Stein | Carey, Barry practiced for 22 years at Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A., and was a partner in its Criminal Law and Regulatory Enforcement Group.
- Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A., Partner, Criminal Law and Regulatory Enforcement Group (1998 – 2013)
- Streich Lang, Associate (1996 – 1997)
- Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A., Associate (1991 – 1996)
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense, 2010 – Present
- “Band One” in Chambers USA, “America’s Leading Litigation Lawyers”
- Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007 – Present
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers, 2011 – Present
- AV Pre-eminent Peer-Reviewed Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- State Bar of Arizona, Fee Dispute Arbitration Committee Member (former)
- President, Sandra Day O’Connor Inn of Court, 2001-2002 (Currently Pupilage Group Leader)
- American Inns of Court Program Award Committee
- Member – Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Member – National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers